Start September off on the right "pop". Today is National Cherry Popover Day!
A Popover is a light muffin made from thin batter that rises to form a hollow shell when baked.
1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup pitted cherries
1. Beat the milk, melted butter, flour, and salt in a medium bowl until just smooth, then add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated. Stir in cherries. Allow batter to rest for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 450F. Butter 12 muffin cups (or 6 popover cups) taking care to coat the cups as well as the area around the top as well.
3. Fill cups 3/4 full and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Without opening the oven door, lower the heat to 350F and bake 10 minutes longer.
4. Remove from oven, pierce tops with a knife to let the steam escape, and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from pan, and serve.